Tuesday, June 15, 2010

black tea today


ELK asked me if doing the "oil spill animals series" was helping me.
It might not be really - but I also think ignoring it and pretending it's not my problem would really not help. I tend towards melancholy and my melancholy is really strong over this mess, but I'm going with it instead of trying to shut it down. I've learned through some bouts with depression that (for me) art and writing helps the most. Add vitamin D, B complex and guilt free naps to that too :)


My thoughts over the oil spill, so far, are these:

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, 
as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. 
I fear something terrible has happened."
―Obi-Wan Kenobi, referring to the destruction of Alderaan


we need to care about our waterways on a local and state level.
do you have a river or creek with storm water run-off?
if you do, you have a mini oil spill with every rain storm.

does your state economy depend on oil?
get creative and reject that lie.
there are many other industries.
big oil is just easy money.

if oil exploration is venturing into deeper and deeper water -
let the billions of profits be spent on making it safe.
in my opinion it will never be safe, 
no matter how much money is thrown at it.

this particular spill is potentially an Exxon Valdez every 2 days.
every 2 days for 175 days.
BP's environmental permit estimated a worst case spill flow at 162,000 barrels/day.
BP is moving 4 tankers into place with the capacity of siphoning off 80,000 barrels/day.
supposedly it is spilling at up to 40,000 barrels/day.
I think it must be at least double that much (given their new recovery plan).

if container ships drop an occasional container of sneakers or rubber ducks into the ocean and those eventually make their way to every single coast in the world, this oil spill will stain your beach - no matter where you live. 

on a hopeful note I will leave you with this thought from my friend Emily Dickinson:

"to make a prairie it takes one clover and one bee,
one clover, and a bee,
and reverie.
the reverie alone will do
if bees are few."

***
be sure to take tea with my friends listed in the sidebar today
I'm sure their tea is not as black as mine is today


17 comments:

~*~Patty said...

Kimmie ~ I admire the course you are taking as a way of trying to cope with impossible tragedy ... I can't seem to find words and you are able!
Your artwork touches my heart as does your sensitivity to life!
BIG (((Hugs))) across the miles oxo

Caterina Giglio said...

love your black t and the inchie! we all feel the loss of this tragedy and process it differently. I honor each and every path and know that they are all correct. hugs to you!

Delphyne said...

I'm so glad to have found your blog - not only for your paintings, but your words. Facing this catastrophe takes great courage - grief and depression are some of the fall out and they're not easy to process.

Although the tea may be black, it contains many antioxidants - I think we, who are observing and feeling the tragedy in the Gulf - are acting like antioxidants and perhaps, in some way, clearing out the toxins in the Gulf.

May you have a guilt free and peaceful nap today!

rivergardenstudio said...

It has been a joy for me to scroll down and see your beautiful watercolors of these sea creatures that we love, but so sad, a huge tragedy. I love what you are doing through your words and your art. roxanne

Unknown said...

TEST

(just testing the comment ability here - I've heard there's some problem going on with blogger)

Carola Zajdman said...

So sad and on the other hand so beautiful your work, love your art. xoxo

Elizabeth said...

Fantastic post, Kim. And I stress to you that your paintings and your art and the care and thought and emotion, the melancholy even, that go into them DO help. They help draw attention to all of it and that attention must be ongoing.

Thank you --

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Happy Tea Tuesday, Kimmie. Love those little inchies.

Every time you talk about the oil spill and how it affects your life, you manage to draw more attention to this unbelievable crisis and bring more people to your blog. Knowledge is POWER, and you have given so much to so many through your words and your lovely watercolors. Keep them coming, dear friend.

ooglebloops said...

Sometimes, melancholy brings the best art out of people - and as a result, helps temper the pain a bit......great post!!!
Late to tea as usual, but drop by if you get a chance!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimmie- sorry to be away for so long and not notice that you were blue! This oil spill is the largest natural (only in element) human made disaster! I cannot even imagine how long it will take mother earth to overcome and reverse this damage. Hugs to you, Christen

virginiasvignettes said...

Hi KImmie....With a heavy heart,sadness,frustration,and fear,my arms open for you...your post says it all...it's funny,I did a post this morning expressing my worries over this oil disaster,Living in Florida,on the Gulf coast...It's very comforting to know that Artists such as yourself are all around us to help,in big and small ways....And yes,your Art does make me stop and want to 'try that'...sending hugs and smiles your way...:)~~~virginia

ELK said...

kimmie . i am so glad that you have done this stunning series.. i know of melancholy as well and the quiet act of creating can soothe a moment here and there. There is an ETSY site selling donated items to help the effort if you are interested
http://www.etsy.com/shop/HelpTheGulfCoast

thinking of you friend ~ ELK

Anonymous said...

a thought provoking post!
a cute inchie!
and a nice cup of tea!

thanks for sharing this!
ciao bella
creative carmelina

Beth at Crazy4Art4u said...

Kimmee, keep up the good work...I am as sick as you are about the spill in the Gulf. Having studied for my Master's in environmental biology I am only too aware of the complacency of the human species about not acting until it is too late. I am fully aware of the greed and indifference about anything but the new God a.k.a. money. I am fully aware of the magnitude of the destruction going on - it is unprecedented in modern history and the damage has moved to the unimaginable! This is why I live in a very rural setting in the woods of New Hampshire, writing and doing my art. I am going to keep on making drawings and paintings of the animals before the spill in order to send positive energy to them, many I know deep down inside will not make it through this round of disasters. I feel so helpless and so heartbroken I don't know what to do but draw, write and paint - those are my skills and I will use them to the best of my abilities. You please keep doing the same - and encourage as many more as you can to do the same. The Dark side is strong right now but we are stronger...
All my best my kindred spirit.

Steph said...

I'm with you Kimmie, this oil spill is certainly disturbing...thank you for sharing and I love that inchie....

Terry @ La Bella Vie said...

wow I could not have said it better Kimmie!
Terry

Unknown said...

Kimmie , you are a tender soul.
I know this feeling. These posts are so beautiful, as is your heart.