Wednesday, May 16, 2012

how the wine bottles turned out


you may have read my post last week about my glass adventure
now that Mother's Day is past, 
I can show the results
(these were gifts)
*
these are the bottles before firing:
(left) balsamic vinegar bottle           (center) bacardi rum bottle                 (right) run of the mill wine bottle
 *
the process 
(known as "slumping) 
involves heating the glass bottle in a kiln up to 1400 degrees
and then gradually bringing the temperature back down
doing this flattens the bottle nicely:
(left) balsamic vinegar bottle                              (center) wine bottle                              (right) rum bottle
 *
the fun part was decorating them:

*
for the rum bottle, I decoupaged the reverse side with a postcard image and old book text 
then I added the faux sailor knot around the top:

*
for the wine bottle and the vinegar bottle,
I added copper wire and beads around the bottle neck
and I also wire wrapped a cheese knife
the wine bottle makes a perfect cheese plate:

if this looks like fun to you,
look for local ceramic or stained glass shops
sometimes the "paint your own" ceramics places have classes just for this
it's fun - and makes a great gift!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet Kimmie, these came out great. Love the rum bottle, it's my fave! xox

Linda Wescott said...

Wow, didn't they turn out great, looks like so much fun. The rum bottle is my fav too. hugs lin

Tracey FK said...

They turned out so awesome... I have seen them and wondered how they did it, and I love how you decorated them... can't pick a favourite though...xx

sukipoet said...

I've never heard of this before. amazing. you are tres clever and a great use for old bottles too.

Anonymous said...

Perfect! I love them all.

Charade said...

I got one of these as a gift last year,and I love it. Yours are a little more creative than mine, though. And I'm not surprised.

Gayle Price said...

Oh My Goodness !! These are amazing !! Love them. You are such a creative whiz. They are beautiful, I have seen 'flattened' bottles before but had no idea, or even thought about, how it was done. You have inspired me, must check out the local high school, I'm pretty sure they have a kiln. Isn't it great that we never stop learning stuff ! Thanks for sharing Kimmie, and I love how you finished off you 'flat' bottles, they look very classy. xx

Yvonne said...

I've seen this a lot but didn't know what it was called. I have one that is not completely flat, they rolled up the sides and it holds crackers or cookies etc. I love your bottles and how they turned out. I especially love the one with text in the back.

She Who Doodles said...

looks like it was a fun class. love how your bottles all turned out.

Neesie said...

How amazing Kimmie! I've never seen anything like them before and I would never have guessed how you did them, so thanks for sharing.
What a good excuse to finish off the bottles in my drinks cabinet! ;D

Elizabeth said...

Very cool -- I'm passing along to my potter friend.

Kim Dellow said...

Oh wow that is just the coolest. Kim

Halle said...

These are so fun! Esp. love the one you decoupaged. Very clever.

~*~Patty S said...

These are each super Kimmie and extra special with your added touches...I have had a slumped champagne bottle that my aunt gave us as a gift hanging on the wall for a long time...I really should use it to cut cheese

I always thought what fun it must be to make...you proved it is!
oxo
oooh and to think of all the bottles you can collect now too ;)

Lynn Cohen said...

How cool is that! Or hot! WOW!

Rustique Gal said...

These came out so cute~ Makes me wish for a kiln to play with. I love blue bottles. Also want to learn to cut bottles into glasses, etc. Another art to master!
Hugs,
Sherry

Teddi said...

beautifully done! :)

Linda Vincent said...

Oh my goodness I am in awe....such innovation!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

These are just the coolest things ever! Such a great way to recycle! :)