Wednesday, April 11, 2012

garden marker - part one

someone contacted me after seeing these garden markers I made last year


they were wondering how I had made them
... at the time I hadn't done a tutorial ...
so I'm re-visiting this project
besides, I need a marker for the mint
:)


*

what you will need:


(from top going clockwise)
staz-on ink-pad (or some other type of permanent ink)
aluminum wire from the hardware store (I'm not sure of the gauge)
alphabet stamps (or your best handwriting - using permanent ink)
mod-podge
circular, patterned rubber stamp
**pineapple can lid - the pineapple can lid will rust**
(if you don't want a rusted lid, use any other type)
mouse pad
paint brush
awl
needle nose pliers

*

first step: 
with the dulled side of the lid facing you, crimp the edge of the lid with your pliers
simply pinch with the plier tip and twist sideways


when you are done it will look like this:


next:
using your awl and the mouse pad, 
poke holes that go all the way around the inner edge of the can lid


tomorrow will be "garden marker - part two"
I have this tutorial in three parts because of all the pictures
(it's just a more manageable blog post that way)

10 comments:

Rita said...

These are just darling! So clever. Can't wait to see the rest. :)

Elizabeth said...

I'm thinking my son Oliver might be interested in doing this project with me to add to the vegetable garden that he recently planted. Thanks for the tutorial!

Anonymous said...

Hooray! THANK YOU for posting! I need to get some supplies and then I'm so doing this! I'm working with very large veggie can lids. I hope they will do okay.

THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!

Yvonne said...

Really clever use of materials. Love it.

~*~Patty S said...

wonderful and so generous of you to share how you create these sweet and lovely markers...
they are very charming...just like you are dear Kimmie!
oxo

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, these are just adorable and the fact that they are recycled makes me smile! xox

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Looks like a fun project. Must try some of these, since I have one of those "fancy" can openers that don't leave sharp edges on the lid.

Halle said...

So cute. And recycled too!

Nettie Edwards said...

Kim, these are beautiful. How can I ensure that the edges of the can top are not deadly?

Kathy said...

Very cute! Love the crimped edging.