Thursday, September 23, 2010

oil spill quilt progress

I started with basting the watercolor patches to my muslin:

The watercolors are from my sketchbook over the summer
(posts labeled: oil spill series)
I used a "light fabric transfer paper" (Avery brand) that I just ran through my inkjet.
I scanned all of the original watercolors first 
and flipped them to mirror image before running the transfer paper through the printer.
I must say that I am very pleased with the quality of the transfer ...
... and the ease of the transfer process
- easy peasy -



I dyed the muslin scraps with tea
(green tea, black tea and hibiscus tea to get the different colors)
and have started stitching them between the images


this is where it's really getting fun
it's just so peaceful to do handstitching
very similar to knitting
pick it up
put it down
stitch and think
think and stitch


thanks for looking :)


16 comments:

ELK said...

i enjoy seeing the softness of the cloth and the stitching as it appears with the panels/paintings..you must feel such a sense of pride as you create
this !

ale said...

ahhhhhh!!! qué lindooo!!!!! beautifulllllll kimmie!!!!!
l love the photos of your last weekend!! and how pretty you four sitting there!!!! lots of kisses !!!

sukipoet said...

this is just a moving and gorgeous quilt. i love that you are hand stitching it too. all so personal yet going beyond the personal to the "political."

~*~Patty S said...

really exciting to see your beautiful artwork transferred onto fabric and the coming together of your really special quilt Kimmie!

you are making great progress
oxo

Renee Howell said...

Love that you are "applique-ing" all the pieces to your background fabric. Great approach! I was a quilter, during an earlier career. Good to see what you are doing! Keep sharing!

Healing Woman said...

Your quilt is precious and so meaningful...beautiful.

Robin said...

It's beautiful and I'm sure will be stunning once done!

ShabbyChicShaz said...

I love how you've used natural teas to dye the fabric. They are so soft on the eye and don't detract from the main pieces. So harmonious

Halle said...

So beautiful and meaningful. Love the scraps and that you are using natural dyes.

Lynn Cohen said...

An absolutely beautiful quilt. I love every thing about it. So soft and feminine, hand stitching, colors, your wonderful paintings...
Does Avery put out a fabric paper? Good to know. Look forward to seeing this finished.

Caterina Giglio said...

I am just in love with this and your tea dyed pieces, aren't the colors just superb? lemon zinger makes a gorgeous pink as well!! have a lovely weekend dear Kimmie!!

Laura said...

so beautiful! I love the color of the hibiscus tea dyed cloth...gorgeous subtle color...and your water colors are just lovely.

Odd Chick said...

This is going to be exquisite. The whole project has your kindness and thoughtfulness and gentleness stitched and painted and carefully planned. I hope this project brings healing to you as we see progress in the gulf.

CK Chai said...

wow, this is really gorgeous!

*jean* said...

o kimmie, your love and care is evident in this piece, the transfers are beautiful and the colors, divine...

Sarah said...

This quilt is so beautiful and moving.