Tuesday, April 2, 2013

fun with google earth

everyone is home for spring break
(sleeping in and staying home)
so I had a relaxed morning with my cup of tea and my iPad
*
my Google Earth application wasn't crashing so I took some cool screen shots and enhanced them with my favorite photo editing app - PhotoForge 2

(more particulars on the how-to is below)

Paris


The Bahamas

Kansas

Mexico City


North Dakota

The Netherlands

Mississippi River
to take a screen shot:
 hold down the power button on the side and the toggle button on the front simultaneously
you will find your screen shot in your photo library under "saved photos"

using PhotoForge2:
it's super easy to access your photo library and edit your photos with this app
I love it for it's simplicity
I start with cropping the picture to take out the watermarks and the bookmark bar at the top
then I play with saturation, contrast, hue and sharpness

getting it to your blog or anywhere else:
at the upper right corner of PhotoForge is a little icon
click on that and you can upload directly to any number of places like FB, Flickr, etc.

(I just e-mailed the pictures to myself,
saved them to iPhoto on my Mac, 
and uploaded them to my blog the usual way)

if you have kids - they'll help you figure it all out
:)

.... just curious - which one is your favorite?
I love the Mexico City one (well, and Paris too)

16 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

The Netherlands and The Bahamas......

Yvonne said...

I love them all but the Kansas one really grabbed me because of the circles.

Sue said...

How fascinating.....I like Kansas best which surprises me as I don't usually got fop such vibrant colours....it's just so unusual.

Gayle Price said...

Wow ! These look amazing. Love the colour and pattern of Kansas. Thanks for sharing the details. xx

Halle said...

Super fun! That is a good idea for summer break, rainy days or any other time I want to throw a little learning into the day for those kiddos. :)

Elizabeth said...

I love the Bahamas -- and Kansas. I wonder if the app is available on Androids -- I'd love to see what Bora Bora could look like.

JoZart Designs said...

They are all fantastic and so amazing to see. I'll be travelling to the Netherlands tomorrow to demonstrate at the Art Specially Show so it was interesting to see the layout of the country, especially as a little piece of art!.
Jo x

barbara said...

thanks for the tutorial...i will have to try this! love the bahamas and the netherlands!

Kim Mailhot said...

Kansas and the Netherlands are my favs.
Cool fun ! Just shows how there is truly inspiration everywhere.
Happy Wednesday !

~*~Patty S said...

Kansas looks like a Klimt
The Netherlands reminds me of bamboo
they are each so unique
wish I understood how to get a screen shot...you lost me at "hold down the power button on the side...."
not sure which power button or where LOL

I am just not there yet and our techie son now lives in Denver ...

Happy rest of spring break!
oxo

~*~Patty S said...

iPad
not checked out on those at all ;)

Anonymous said...

I love this aerial photography. My favorite thing to do on planes is to look out at the landscape and see what patterns are there. Bahama blues and that gridded Kansas are quite striking...Kansas could make some pretty seriously interesting stitched pieces. xox

Caterina Giglio said...

you are so brilliant, and you just make your own fun out of nothing so regularly, you inspire me!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Well, I see I'm not alone ... I like Kansas, too, probably because I'm drawn to red and maroon colors. Only you would take Google Earth and make art of it. Ha! Have a great weekend. Tammy

Createology said...

I am visiting from Tammy who gave me your link regarding your Sashiko Tea Bag stitching. Pure bliss...

Katie said...

This is so cool!
ps. got my cool stickers and such! I love them. thank you!