Wednesday, December 3, 2014

pink flamingos

I like to play with bottle brush trees every year.
This year Lucy McGillicuddy had some input.

The super easy how to:
(kids love this project too)
Darice Sisal Trees from the craft store
Wooden spool or some other base
Acrylic paint
mod podge
Glitter
Bleach

First, I dilute the bleach (about 1T bleach to 12 oz water). Then I soak the trees in the diluted bleach, one at a time, about 5 minutes. They come out a pale green - which is nice too. I give them a good rinse and let them dry. Once they're dry, I paint them with watered down acrylic paint. Thinning your paint will give you better coverage without clumping. When the paint is dry, you're ready for glittering. I just brush on some mod podge and then shake on some glitter. Ultra fine glitter is a what is a like to use, but chunky glitter would look great too. Last step is painting the wooden base under the tree a fun bright color and when that's dried, gluing it onto a base if you want to.

I hope you liked this little how to ... chances are you've already been there and done that ... and I'd love to hear your own twist on the tale. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most brilliant colors. Just saw a tutorial on "Just Something I made" to make your own for the future. Pretty easy. I may stick to my paper version. So easy to make too. Love that pink. xox

Gayle Price said...

These are so cute and so bright and pretty. I love them on the cotton reels (with the cotton still there ). Your colours are just beautiful. xx

amy of studio four corners said...

absolutely delightful!

Caterina Giglio said...

and I love your gold glitter deer...

Elizabeth said...

I love these! Oliver once made something like this for me for Christmas -- they are on cork bases, and each holds a votive. I love pulling them out each Christmas and oohing over them again!

Elizabeth said...

When you say that you paint them with acrylic, do you use a brush or just dip them in the paint?

Vicky Carter said...

I love this idea. My grandkids and will try this. Great idea