Friday, November 28, 2014

as promised a few weeks ago


book cover boxes
(a how to)

a few weeks ago I posted about pocket poems - which are actually a by-product of my book cover boxes

Any hardcover book covers will do.
I get my books on the free shelf at my local thrift store.
They're mostly business books or textbooks
(nothing to fret about sacrificing)

I first mark out lines on the back side. 
For this example I marked a line 1 1/4" inside from each edge.

Next, I cut out the corners.
I use scissors for this.

Then I flip it over and using my ruler and an xacto knife,  I score each side that will be folded.

This is how it looks after folding

I like to finish the edges with paper.
These are 1 1/2" inch strip of paper that I will fold in half and glue over the edges.

Sobo glue works the best for paper to paper gluing. 

Then I tie a ribbon to hold all the sides firmly in place. Voila - a cool box for pencils, paintbrushes, oddments, or a sweet gift.
***
With the left over squares I make the pocket poems

I back these with home made marble paper and line the edges with copper foil tape.

I hope you enjoyed this how-to ... 

cheers, 
kimmie

10 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Lovely! You have the most wonderful ideas. Happy holidays. Tammy

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

TOOO COOL!

Nan G said...

Oh yea, way cool!

DAWN said...

Fantastic all the way around, thank you for sharing!
~Dawn

Caterina Giglio said...

you are so brilliant! I am always in awe over your creativity... very inspired, thank you!

Elizabeth said...

You are just amazing. I wish that I lived down the street from you and could come in and watch you work all day!

Halle said...

I love these little boxes...I made one after you showed them several years ago....it holds my scrap paper for notes. :)

marie said...

These are really wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

Sweet tutorial. Books covers hold such appeal. I like how you left the edge somewhat loose and used the ribbon/twine to tie up. xox

rivergardenstudio said...

Lovely. This post and your whole blog! So glad to visit here today and see all your creativity.
roxanne