Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Tea Time


A wonderful packet of French Lemon Ginger tea was friended to me by Oddchick recently. (You can visit her shop of tea and balms for the body and soul here).  It's refreshing and has some mysterious flavor combinations that make me want to have a sip and then another sip right away to try and figure it out.

If you've read Julia Cameron's book The Artist's Way, and you do your "morning pages," you'll know that morning pages are like this tea. Except the mystery is you, not tea, and rather than sipping again and again, you are finding yourself wanting to wake up to write another 3 pages to try and figure out what that mysterious ingredient is. That mysterious ingredient in you that is making you feel the way you feel. Do the things you do. Dream the dreams you dream. 

Basically, "doing morning pages" is just getting up and writing 3 pages 1st thing in the morning. For your eyes only. No grammar. No punctuation. Just thoughts put to paper. It's through doing morning pages that I have found courage to no longer self-deprecate and do the bare minimum creatively, "because who's watching, who cares and it's all crappy anyway." Morning pages have a way of bringing up lost flavors, mysterious ingredients - a "hey, what's that?" and "I want to explore that some more." Sometimes, though, I will admit - it's too much work. It's sometimes easier to float along and not paddle for a while. I've spent the winter on that "life-raft," of what is easy. I will say, though, that the Disintegration Project has in it's quiet way brought out some personal things I've had to look at more closely. Life imitates art? or art imitates life? It's a silly question when they are quite simply entwined together.

"Disintegration Project" coming into week 6 now

Visit my "other" blog today and you'll find more thoughts on tea - thoughts that sprang up out of sitting down and doing morning pages again.

3 comments:

ooglebloops said...

You've reminded me to order more lavender body cream from Peggy and post my disintegration pix!!! Thanks!!! :>)

Susie Dally said...

How lovely a reveal from you today. Very profound. I have dealt with anger before-by writing it out-then disposing of it. Works pretty good. Keep on bloggin'!

Odd Chick said...

I can't believe I missed this beautiful post and I loved that you reminded us that the mystery ingredient was ourselves. I have done morning pages and it is an awesome experience. I'm on my way to visit your other blog now. take care