Sunday, October 22, 2017

Noah Purifoy, Artist and Human

"Born in Snow Hill, Alabama in 1917, assemblage artist Noah Purifoy lived and worked most of his life in Los Angeles and Joshua Tree, California. His earliest body of sculpture was constructed out of charred debris from the 1965 Watts rebellion. 
"From 1989 until his death in 2004, Noah filled ten acres of his high desert studio in Joshua Tree with assemblage sculptures and installations that synthesized the concerns of his life."
- www.noahpurifoy.com

I had the unique pleasure of visiting this amazing installation earlier this month. Here are some of the things I saw there ...
(White: drinking fountain    Colored: toilet)

(The White House: this is the oval office)

3 comments:

Ms. said...

WOW and Wowie. THANKS--He was an important part of history. There's a foundation and this wike biography https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_Purifoy

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What an unbelievable body of work. You were SO fortunate to see these pieces. I loved the "oval office."

Elizabeth said...

I've been to Joshua Tree several times, but I've never seen these! I have seen his stuff in an amazing exhibit here in Los Angeles -- it would seem that it wouldn't work in a building, but it actually did. I love your photos -- you've really captured the wildness of all of it.